Monday, July 31, 2006

My Grandma's Gonna Set Your Grandma on Fire.

If you still haven't been, then you need to go to see a true member of the RatPack. Frank, Sammy, Deano, and Bingo...and who's that other guy? Oh yeah, Paddy. Yeah, you remember him, right? Go check out his rodents and cakes and cake-eating rodents and some other good stuff. You'll be glad you did and be sure to tell him I sent ya.
________________________________________________

Feeling a little silly lately and starting thinking about things like my grandmas. They're both gone, but I started to wonder what they've been up to. I wonder if they still have conversations somewhere on the "other side" similar to what we'd overhear when the whole family would get together on the holidays. They'd be chatting away saying things like:

Baubie (Jewish grandmother) : So Ann, you still smoking?

Gramma (Catholic grandmother) : (nothing said, just a roll of the eyes)

Baubie : (shifts positions and appears to be irritated)

Gramma : (takes a long drag and lets the smoke crawl out her nostrils)

Baubie : That Kristen is such a tramp.

Gramma : (throws a limp hand in the air out of disgust) Don't get me started.

Baubie : Who the hell does she think she is? Eugene's about to find out about her and her little boyfriend if she's not careful.

Gramma : Oh and he's a bad one, that guy.


At this point we'd all look over, intrigued by the conversation. Who are they talking about?
Ineveitably we'd finally realize they've been gossipping about The Young & The Restless. And we'd smile knowing that their love of soaps was the only they had in common.

8 Comments:

At 01 August, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That's great. At least your grandmothers had SOMETHING to talk about. Mine don't even speak the same language! :-)

 
At 01 August, 2006, Blogger Janet said...

Thanks for the bid on the blog. I love the concept, and the obscure lyrical references!:)

 
At 01 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought I'd pay a visit after your kind remarks. Excellent blog, and the kind of stuff I like to read. Keep up the good work!

 
At 02 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandmothers should be cherished AND ignored in equal measure. The are nicely nutty creatures.

 
At 02 August, 2006, Blogger David Amulet said...

I raise my glass to people who can find something in common despite their otherwise total lack of common interests!

-- david

 
At 03 August, 2006, Blogger Sayre said...

We did that to my dad once. Big family dinner. I was living with my brother at the time, so when he leaned forward and stage-whispered some naughty nugget about Y&R, I responded the same way your grandma did... Then another brother picked it up, and another, and pretty soon we were having a whole conversation about these people and my dad's head was whirling. It wasn't until my grandmother joined in that Dad realized that he'd been had (since my grandmother didn't hang out with "our crowd").

Maybe your grandmas were having you on!

Love your blog - I came over from Janet's!

 
At 03 August, 2006, Blogger mojo shivers said...

Everyone knows that if you're going to gossip about a soap it has to be Days of Our Lives.

 
At 03 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never watched that soap. But your two grandmas have me wishing I had.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home